Test Optional Policy
Mercy College Testing Policy
Mercy College has a test-optional admissions policy for incoming undergraduate students that will allow those applying to the College the option of not submitting standardized test scores, except in select circumstances.
According to the National Center for Fair and Open Testing, over 1,200 four-year, accredited colleges and universities that have adopted a test-optional policy with many experiencing an increase in applicants from more diverse backgrounds and higher academic quality. Like many colleges, Mercy has found that high school GPA has been a more reliable predictor of student success once on campus than standardized test scores alone.
Additional Information on Test Optional Policy
Students who opt out of submitting SAT/ACT scores will be evaluated primarily on their high school grade point average and curriculum. Any optional documentation, such as letters of recommendation or an essay, will also be considered.
International students will need to submit test scores (Proof of English Proficiency).
As a general rule of thumb, you should submit your test scores if you think they accurately represent your academic abilities. Please keep in mind the following:
- Submitting test scores can only enhance your application
- Those submitting scores will have them reviewed as supplemental material. Choosing not to submit scores will not be looked at negatively or hurt chances of admission.
- The vast majority of accepted freshman applicants have a solid ‘B’ average or above in their college preparatory, honors, and AP courses in high school. If your grade point average is not at that level, but you have performed well on the SAT or ACT, we encourage you to send your scores as part of your application.
- If you submit more than one test score, Mercy College will create a “super score” consisting of your highest score from each section.
- Those who indicate that they do not want their scores considered when applying will not have them considered, even if they appear on your high school transcript.
- If you are unsure about what testing plan if right for you, please contact the Office of Admissions at 877-MERCY-GO or email@example.com and we would be happy to assist you.