Teaching Literacy, Birth to Grade 12
- 33 Credits
- School of Education
- Dobbs Ferry
Teaching Literacy, Birth to Grade 12 Overview
The M.S. in Teaching Literacy, Birth - Grade 12 prepares candidates to be dually certified as a Literacy teacher in both Birth - Grade 6 and Grades 5 - 12 (Dual certification). Our program prepares candidates to become reading teachers, literacy coaches, and remedial reading/writing specialists. Our graduates also remain Elementary and Secondary classroom teachers who have strong competence in classroom literacy instruction and assessment
Graduates of the Teaching Literacy program can pursue positions as:
- Reading teacher
- Literacy coach
- Remedial reading and writing specialist
- Classroom teacher with strong competence classroom literacy instruction and assessment
The Mercy Advantage
We have strong relationships with elementary and secondary schools across New York City and Westchester, ensuring that when students graduate they are prepared with experience and professional contacts.
- Teaching Certificate
- Bachelor's degree
- Official transcripts
- Effective Educator Statement
Students must submit an Effective Educator Statement to complete their application. You can download requirements here. Please submit the completed statement to your application portal.
Frequently Asked Questions
Most schools have literacy positions at all levels including emergent literacy, early childhood, childhood education and literacy for adolescents. Also: reading teacher, literacy coach, and remedial reading/writing specialist. Our graduates also remain elementary or secondary classroom teachers who have strong competence in classroom literacy instruction and assessment.
Yes. Schools need teachers who are highly trained in literacy. The recent emphasis on literacy in national and state education agendas requires that our elementary, middle and high schools employ highly qualified literacy teachers and specialists.
Yes. An initial certification from New York State or an equivalent certification from another state is required.
More than just how to teach students to read. You’ll learn about the background and foundations of literacy, practices for emergent literacy, English language learners, and teaching students with disabilities, as well as child and adolescent literature, content area reading and writing, literacy assessment, and research techniques.
Please see below for frequently used links:
Program Details & Curriculum
Course Requirements for the Master of Science in Literacy, Birth–Grade 12
Total: 33 credits
For a full curriculum listing visit our catalog.
Students must submit an Effective Educator Statement to complete their application. You can download requirements here.
Please submit the completed statement to your application portal.
By the end of this program, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate a solid content knowledge base that enables them to deliver effective educational and professional services based on current research, theory and practice
- Employ multiple pedagogical and professional strategies and tools to enable them to be effective practitioners in educational settings and deliver services that promote students’ intellectual, social, and emotional development
- Understand the diverse cultural, linguistic, learning, and social strengths and needs of all populations, and incorporate and demonstrate sensitivity to the richness of diverse cultures when providing educational and other school services
- Employ technology to deliver information, instruction, and professional services to all members of the school community
- Reflect on professional practice to make educational decisions and enhance student learning
- Demonstrate positive dispositions that enable them to work as effective educators, citizens, and practitioners within the school and broader community
Download a copy of the sequence map for:
- 2022 - 2023 Teaching Literacy M.S. Birth to Grade 12
- 2021 - 2022 Teaching Literacy M.S. Birth to Grade 12
- 2020 - 2021 Teaching Literacy M.S. Birth to Grade 12
- 2019 - 2020 Teaching Literacy M.S. Birth to Grade 12
- MeH 28A
- (914) 674-3057
- MeH 28A
- (914) 674-7126
- MT 325
- (212) 615-3344
- MeH 24
- (914) 674-7333
- MeH 24
- (914) 674-3037
- MT 325
- (212) 615-3367